Friday, September 18, 2015

Review of SGBioAtlas Mobile Application



Hola!

As I've mentioned in my post earlier, SGBioAtlas application is an application launched by the NPB (National Parks Board) in April this year. It is a great platform for Singaporeans to participate in "citizen science and research". However, there's only 1000+ downloads as of now on the Android market.

Please download more!
[source: http://www.itsokaytobesmart.com/post/78336860444/jazzmoth-finally-my-moth-reaction-gif]

While I have yet to capture pictures of some butterflies and moths as of yet, I'm keeping my eyes peeled!

The application is simple to use, and has good tutorial to guide users on how to get started. 

Sighting of Cycad Blue butterfly near Yishun, uploaded by one of the users!

I realised that some amazing butterflies and moths can be found all over Singapore. Users have uploaded pictures of the Cycad Blue, Peacock Pansy, Green Baron and some other butterfly species recently that I have never seen around in Singapore. I am encouraged to find that these sightings were around parks and nature reserves, as it indicates that our effort to conserve biodiversity is effective. 

I'll be introducing some local moth and butterfly species so that everyone can recognise them when they see one!

(By the way, there are lots of butterflies and squirrels around NUS, especially on the walk from King Edward VII hall to the Life Science labs!)

Till then, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment